Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Imagery Analysis One: Spoon- Underdog

Picture yourself in a living room,
your pipe and slippers set out for you,
I know you think that it ain't too far,
But I,

I hear the call of a lifetime ring,
felt the need to get up for it.
oh, cut out the middle man
get free from the middle man.

You got no time for the messenger,
got no regard for the thing that you don't understand.
You got no fear of The Underdog,
that's why you will not survive.

I wanna forget how convention fits,
hmmm, but can I get out from under it?
Well I cut it out of me.

It can't all be wedding cake,
it can't all be boiled away,
I tried but I can't let go of it,
can't let go of it, uh huh.

You shouldn't talk to the water boy,
and there's so much you can learn but you don't want to know,
You will not back up an inch ever,
That's why you will not survive.

The thing that I tell you now,
it may not go over well.
Oh it may not be Photo Op,
in the way that I spell it out.

But you won't hear from the messenger.
Don't want to know 'bout the thing that you don't understand.
You got no fear of The Underdog,
that's why you will not survive.

The song I chose to analyze this song because it is a very good example of not only imagery but it also fits my theme of society. In this song it talks about not fearing what the underdog is capable of and how the underestimate what some people are capable of. this is show through the lyric "You got no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive." This shows that the singer believes that by not seeing the underdog as a true competitor you are in turn guaranteeing your own demise. This is also true of general society, because they do not see the little guy as a threat and do not prepare themselves for when they rise up and fight back for their own rights, ie: riots, unions, etc. One example of Imagery is when tin the song it says"Picture yourself in the living room, your pipe and slippers set out for you" this is showing us that the singer wants us to imagine being in a living room with our slippers there and a cozy scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment